August 21, 2006

Mon Bloc Rhodia, c'est super!

These little orange notepads first caught my eye when I was living in Lyon, France, where they are made. I picked one up at a paper store this weekend that is perfect for my obsessive list making- it is skinny and long, and the graph paper is sooo French- I love it! Reminds me of when I was studying art history there, observing the students take copious notes on graph paper using different colored pens, rulers and those strange erasable inks. (I spent a lot of my time in class watching the French kids go crazy taking notes, and trying to figure out which of them might be willing to share with an American student who could only understand bits and pieces of what the teacher was saying...)

Maybe someday, the cult of Rhodia will overtake the current Moleskine mania that is sweeping the nation!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've seen these in your possession, and they are eye-catching indeed - matte toned orange covers with clean graphic design. Is Rhodia just a name, or does it mean something too?

I finally got a slim purse-sized Moleskine recently, and am actually saving it until after I use up all my spiral bound college-ruled paper mini memo pads from KMart.
How far we've come with our 'scratch paper' notepads, eh?
So luxe!

Remember when all our Japanese exchange students used only the coolest/ cutest writing tablets and smooth-writing implements? So aesthetic!
Life should be full of wonderful and visually delightful/ soothingly tactile things!

An aside: you were very brave/ adventurous every day of that year in Lyon - I'm still so proud of you for living and learning in France - and in Italy too, for that matter.